Network Instances management
The Regional Coordination VHL is exercised by BIREME and includes the following attributions/tasks: to promote and disseminate the VHL; operate the regional multilingual portal of VHL, that brings together, regional information sources and associated networks; promote the exchange among producers, intermediaries and users of VHL; accomplish technical cooperation for the development of national capacities in the management and operation of VHL; coordinate in regional scope the networks of institutions producers, intermediaries and users of VHL; certify the national, thematic and institutional instances; coordinate the development of VHL conceptual model; coordinate the development of methodologies and technologies for management and operation of producers networks; intermediaries and users, even as the networks of sources and flows information of VHL.
In the national scope, countries assume responsibility by coordinating national networks of institutions as an essential mean to promote and ensure visibility and accessibility to information and knowledge on health of the region. The coordination of VHL in the countries is done by one or more institutions, following the same principles and functions guiding of the action of BIREME in the regional scope.
Of the institutions specializing in information management, national and regional the networks, integrants of VHL has increased systematically the last 12 years. One aspect that contributes to this expansion is the inclusion of all actors of the process production and operation of the information sources, expanding cooperation technical for others institutions besides of the libraries and information centers.
The VHL offers common and standardized mechanisms for the management of cooperative working in network, adopted by all VHL instances – geographical, thematic or institutional, described following:
• Advisory Committee – forum for deliberation of VHL. It’s responsible for the strategic decisions for the development and continuous assessment of VHL, definition of quality criteria of information sources and social network promotion. Constituted equitably by representatives of institutions who have as function the elaboration of the project and the work plans that define the VHL priority action lines. It is recommendable that the different profiles of institutions which comprise the social network are represented in the Advisory Committee, for example, research, academy, government, scientific societies that represent the users and so on.
• Coordination or Executive Department – is represented by an institution which has human resources, political, economical and technologically favorable conditions to take the leadership in the operation of the VHL instance. It is responsible for monitoring of the deliberate actions by the Advisory Committee, expressed in its project and plans of action, mainly with regard to promotion of cooperative work in operation network of information sources. It is also up to executive coordination to promote the effective functioning of the Advisory Committee, including the organization of periodic face-to-face meetings and distance meetings.
• Technical Committee or operational – comprised by professionals related to institutions of Advisory Committee which act as responsible for operation of information sources. They are represented in this forum, in general, by professionals of information and information technology.
The Matrix of responsibility, instrument that determines the share of each institution in the operation of Information Sources, is an important instrument for following up with the decentralized management. The collective construction of VHL promotes and strengthens equitably the inclusion of institutions and individuals in the shared management of sources and flows of information. From these structures of management, each instance VHL has its development oriented by a macro project that defines and leads the actions related to operation of social networks, of contents and of apprentices environments and informed. The thematic scope, the definition of target audience, selection of information sources that will be operated, maintenance of VHL’s portal, communication actions and exchange of knowledge, activities of the technical cooperation inter-institutional of VHL promotion, organization and participation in events of capacitation, and others, are examples of actions that must be defined in the action plan of each VHL instance.
Besides its Project of initial conception (action plan), each VHL instance develops specific projects periodically, valid for a period of 2 to 5 years. These projects should be formulated to plan and guide the implementation of the lines action priority that corresponds to necessities, interests and available resources.
The projects or action plans should be personalized and can contain, among other, actions of maintenance and update of information sources or of the portal, actions of communication and spread, activities of technical cooperation inter-institutional, and so on. The projects must set priorities in accordance with necessities and available resources, as well as the distribution of responsibilities and the work in the network.
The Project management in VHL follows methodology developed based on the framework logical adopted by Pan American Heath Organization (PAHO) for planning and follow up of its biannual work program, enriched with the concepts PMBOK ® – Project Management Body of Knowledge, the PMI – Project Management Institute and with adaptations to satisfy the specific demands of projects the VHL Network and network correlated to the operation of networks of source and flows of scientific information, technical and factual on health.
In the last 5 years the Projects management in the VHL Network was developed in sense of improving and socializing the methodology, tools and models adopted and developed to support the evolution of projects from their conception, development and closure.
As a starting point of Projects management to guide the planning of the intended goals and register the necessary efforts to achieve them, the proposal of Project must be drawn up to facilitate understanding of the project by stakeholders. The project proposal must answers the following questions:
• What can be done?
• Why should the project be initiated?
• What are your goals?
• What are your results?
• How to assess whether the results are being achieved?
• What activities will be developed?
• How long will it be?
• How much will its development cost?
The model used for the construction of proposal projects of VHL network and networks related are published on http://bvsmodelo.bvsalud.org/php/index.php?lang=en and http://bvsmodelo.homolog.bvsalud.org/php/level.php?lang=en&component=16&item=132, together with its guides of work, which orients the development of each item of the proposal.
To facilitate the management, each VHL can define its action plan (recommended drawing up a plan for the period 2 to 5 years) and from the same, draw up specific projects of shorter duration between various institutions involved in its construction, detailing necessary activities, resources and execution periods in accord with the demands existing.
Once that the projects are formalized, it is recommend the use of a system of management of project online. The system of projects management should facilitate follow up and record of the advances of actors involved in the project development, speeding up the reports formulation and the process of making-decision during the project.
At the finish of the execution of project, all information accumulated, supports its Accountability to funding institutions and creates a repository of information with the lessons learned during execution, and that will support a planning of future projects. The planning, drawing up of the project, its execution with constant follow up and closure with documentation of activities developed, are important tools to strengthen the VHL, positioning it in favor in actions of technical cooperation and funding opportunities together the fomentation bodies, ensuring its sustainability.